Sabudana or Tapioca Sago is agricultural food produced from Tapioca (Cassava) roots in the form of starch. It is considered apt for consumption during fasts in India. Sago is full of energy and pure carbohydrates with very low amount of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
When prepared with other nutritional veggies, it becomes a wholesome food. It is very good for health as it is low in calories and is considered a good for people who need high energy diets. It is prepared in various forms like kheer, pudding, khichdi, upma, vada, baking etc. We are making sabudana upma today and it is very yummy and easy to prepare.
Sabudana Upma is my favorite fasting foods. For more fast recipes you see Navratri pizza, Kuttu ka halwa, or amaranth pancakes.
Recipe Type: Vrat Recipe, Fast Recipe, Healthy
Time: 2 hr (Soaking time) + 15 min
1/2 cup Small Sabudana Pearls (Tapioca Sago)
1 Boiled and roughly mashed Potato
1 tbs Groundnut Seeds (Mungfali dana)
1 1/2 tsp Coriander leaves (dhaniya patti)
10 Curry Leaves (meetha neem)
1 tsp Raisins
1 tsp Chopped Green Chily
2 tsp Lemon juice
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
1/4 tsp( or to taste) Salt/ Rock salt (sendha namak)
1/4 tsp Roasted cumin powder
1 tbs Desi ghee
Method (Step by step sabudana upma recipe) :-
1. First of all soak sabudana pearls for about 2-3 hrs in lots of water. Sabudana should get soft enough to easily press them. Now strain the water over a strainer (chalni) and keep the sabudana in fridge for half hour.
2. Prepare all ingredients.
3. Take a skillet and add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves in it and keep it to heat.
4. When mustard starts spluttering, add peanuts and roasted for 2-3 minutes on slow flame or till raw smell disappears.
5. Add potatoes to it and mix for 1 minute.
6. Meanwhile take a big bowl, add sabudana, coriander, raisins, black pepper, salt, cumin powder and mix well with lightly hands.
7. Add this sabudana mixture to the skillet and mix it well. Saute it for 2 minutes while stirring continuously till sabudana becomes transparent.
8. Sabudana upma is ready. Serve it and enjoy. You can garnish it with some more peanuts, coriander leaves or even pomegranate seeds.
- Small sago pearls are best for this recipe and soaking procedure is very important if you want to make good upma.
- You can also add more dry fruits like cashews in this recipe.
- Add fried paneer pieces for a different and yummy upma.
You can follow us on Twitter, Instagram or facebook.
I like your recipe
Thank you for your appreciation. It means a lot. Keep visiting.