Spaghetti Aglio Olio Pasta is a a traditional Italian pasta dish which originated in Naples. Traditionally this recipe is prepared with minced/chopped/sliced garlic simmered in olive oil and spaghetti tossed in with some parsley and seasoned with little salt. According to some Italians, cheese should not added to this pasta but i feel a dash of cheese sprinkled on top really makes it special. This is the most simple and basic pasta sauce, ever made.
When you add pepperonchini (Small Red chili) to it. it becomes Aglio olio e pepperonchino. I have also added olives in it for some extra flavor, that is totally optional. Most of the aglio olio recipes call for lot of olive oil and i did that that too but now i prefer less olive oil as it turns too oily.
Parsley is something you dont easily find in India, so I used coriander leaves. You can also try cilantro, dill leaves (suya) or mint leaves. Now i am going to grow parsley and basil in my own garden. this recipe is very simple, you can try make some variations too. I have added mine. You can see more Italian recipes like Baked white sauce pasta, Baked Vegetable also.
Recipe Type : Main Course, Pasta
Cuisine : Italian
Time: 15-20 minutes
100 gms Spaghetti
4 tbs Olive oil
6-7 cloves Garlic (sliced/minced/chopped)
2 tbs Coriander leaves
3-4 Black olives sliced
1/4 tsp Dried parsley
1-2 Small dried red chili/ Fresh red chili/ Chili flakes (1/2 tsp)
1 tsp Parmesan/Pecorino/Processed cheese
To taste Salt
Method (Step by step recipe for Spaghetti aglio e olio pepperonchino)
1. First of all boil 3-4 glasses of water in a deep pan and when it comes to a boil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil in it. Add in the spaghetti (you can break the spaghetti if you want). Let it boil till AL-dente (it should have a bite but it should not be raw) for about 9 minutes.
2. Strain the water from spaghetti. Do not rinse it. Keep 1 cup of pasta water reserved for the sauce.
3. Start making the sauce when pasta is half done as we don’t want our spaghetti to get over cooked. Take a skillet, add olive oil and garlic in it. Cook it on high flame and when garlic start moving, simmer the flame and let garlic release all its flavors in oil.
4. When garlic is half done, add chopped chilies in it and cook till garlic becomes little brownish.
5. Add half cup of pasta water to the oil and let the sauce emulsify. Add half of coriander leaves and dried parsley after 2-3 minutes.
6. Toss in the spaghetti and mix it fast on high flame for 2-3 minutes. When sauce gets soaked well, add olives ,rest of coriander and season with a dash of salt and mix well.
7. It is now ready to serve. Take it out on a plate and sprinkle with some grated cheese on top . I added a cube of garlic flavored butter on the top. Serve hot.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
Follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).