Methi Matar Malai
Methi matar malai is a very unique gravy in itself. It is so creamy, subtle, and full of flavor. Methi gives this gravy a very distinct flavor which can only be felt when you taste it. It does not remain bitter in this creamy gravy. This is a very mild but very heavy dish and can be served to guests also. It is so good that this dish is served in restaurants and is also prepared during big feasts in India. it is perfect dish for any occasion. I am sure everyone will love it. It will be a different dish from the regular paneer. You can also add mushrooms or sweet corns or even paneer to this dish.
Fenugreek leaves are rich source of calcium,iron, phosphorous, proteins etc. These leaves are bitter in taste and hence most people don’t like these but in this recipe, they taste so delicious. Peas are high in fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and lutein. This is good way to get these veggies in your body. If you want to make it little less fatty than don’t add cream, instead of butter use olive oil.
Recipe Type: Gravy
Cuisine : North Indian
Time : 40-50 minutes
Serves : 5-6 people
For the onion paste
2 Chopped onions
7-8 Cashew nuts (kaju)
9-10 Garlic Cloves (lehsun)
1 Green Chili
1/2 inch Ginger (adrak)
1 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds (Khus khus/posht k dane)
For the Masala
1 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
10 Peppercorns (Kali mirch)
1 Clove (laung)
2 Cardomom seeds (Elaichi)
For the Gravy
2 cups Fenugreek Leaves (Methi k patte)
1 1/2 cup Green peas/frozen peas
1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
1/2tsp Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Raw Mango Powder (Amchur)
1 tbs Butter/makhan
1 tsp Oil
2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
1/2 tsp Caraway seeds (shah zeera)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Malai/Fresh Cream
1 tbs Kasuri Methi
2 pinch Garam Masala
1 tbs Coriander leaves
Method (step by step methi matar malai recipe)
1. First of all, wash and clean fenugreek leaves well. Then chop them and put 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric in it. Mix it well and leave it for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze the methi with your palms. It will reduce the bitter taste of methi. (You will see that methi will reduce very much)
2. Mean while we will prepare other ingredients and gravy. Now take green peas and boil them in water for 5 minutes or till peas become soft and shiny. (If using frozen, no need to boil)
3. Take all the ingredients of onion paste and grind very finely in a mixer grinder. (Use water if required)
4. In a mortar pestle, crush masala ingredients into powder.
1. Take a skillet(kadhai) add oil and butter in it, put bay leaf , shah zeera and hing in it and cook till zeera starts moving. Add turmeric and red chili powder. mix it for 10 seconds.
2. Add onion paste in the skillet and give it a good mix. Put amchur powder, 1/2 tsp salt, cinnamon powder and prepared masala powder. Mix it well and cook till it leaves oil.
3. Put methi in it and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add green peas and mix again. Now add milk and 1 cup water to it. Mix well and let it come to a boil. Now cover it and cook on medium flame or 5 minutes.
4. Now add malai and crushed kasuri methi in it. Mix it well and put garam masala and coriander leaves. Mix it. Switch off the gas.
5. Methi Matar Malai is ready to be served. It looks so yummy and beautiful. You can garnish it with cream if you want. Serve it with any naan, chapati or rice dish.
- You can also make mushroom malai matar or methi makai malai matar the same way.
- In restaurants they don’t add milk but fully make it in cream. Instead of milk add 1/2 cup malai if you want that. But let me assure you this tastes perfectly great. There is no need to increase those extra calories in our food.