Spinach is one of the worlds healthiest vegetables, dark green vibrant spinach leaves are the best source of vitamin c. It is rich source of flavonoid which make it anti-cancerous and anti inflammatory. This green vegetable is filled with anti oxidants due to abundance of manganese, selenium, Vitamin A, C and E. Vitamin K helps in maintaining Bone Health. Filled with minerals like iron, calcium, folate and potassium etc. Spinach is good for diabetics, blood pressure and asthmatic patients.
Being so healthy and good for our skin , it is not very loved vegetable specially children dread it. But this spinach soup recipe is something that everyone will like it. This soup is little creamy, with full health benefits of spinach, very economical, quick and pretty fibrous yet tastes great.
Although spinach soup served in restaurants is very creamy and thick, i have used milk instead of cream. This soup can be thickened by adding 1/2 tsp cornflour with the milk if you like it that way. To retain all the fibers i did not strain (Channa) it rather i made a fine paste. You can strain it if you want very creamy and silky smooth texture.
This soup can be changed according to ones preference, like you can add tomatoes or green chilies also and change the flavor completely. You can also try to combine spinach with other veggies like carrot, tomatoes, pumpkin etc to make different types of soups.
I loved my version of spinach soup. It is mildly seasoned and spiced with black pepper which is very soothing to the throat. This soup is very good for digestion, cold or cough. Do try this soup, you will love it. You also try Lemon coriander soup.
Recipe type: Appetizer-soup
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: 15 minutes
1 cup Chopped spinach (palak)
6-7 cloves Garlic
1 small Onion chopped
1/4 inch Ginger
3/4 cup Milk
1 tsp Cream/malai
1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
1 Clove (laung)
7-8 Peppercorns (kali mirch)
1 small Piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
1 tsp Butter/oil
1/4 tsp Salt (or according to taste)
1 pinch Cracked black pepper (Kuti hui kali mirch)
Method: ( Step by step spinach soup recipe with photos)
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Take a skillet, put butter in it, add whole spices (cinnamon, bay leaf, clove, black pepper), garlic cloves, onion and ginger to it. Saute it for 2 minutes till onions become soft.
3. Now add spinach and cook it till spinach is wilted and cooked well. Add 1/2 cup water to it and take a boil. Switch off the flame.
4. Let the spinach mixture cool and then grind finely in mixer. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick before grinding. Add this fine paste again to the skillet. (You can sieve (chan lijiye) the spinach paste if you want, I didn’t). Add milk to it and keep it to cook stirring continuously till the first boil.(Put bay leaf and cinnamon stick again to get some more flavor in and remove them before serving)
5. Add the salt to it and cook the soup for 3 minutes. To serve, take a soup bowl, put 1/2 tsp of cream in the bowl first. .
6. Then pour hot soup, garnish with cream on top and some cracked black pepper. Serve this soup hot with some toasted bread on sides or with croutons.
Please do try this recipe and do comment below. You can Follow me on Facebook, Instagram (Foodiediariesmoni ) or twitter.
Tweets by Foodiediaries_M