Lasagne is an classic Italian pasta dish in which flat pasta sheets are layered alternatively with sauces, veggies or meat and baked with lots of cheese. This dish is very heavy but is tempting, juicy, cheesy, saucy, and so amazingly delicious that you wont be able to stop yourself.
I have prepared lasagne with combination of three basic sauce i.e. pesto sauce, red tomato sauce and white sauce, two types of cheese i.e. processes and mozzarella. Although you get dried lasagna sheets in the market but i have prepared my own fresh pasta sheets. Its best to have a pasta machine but we can just do it by using a roller pin too.
Usually eggs are used to make pasta dough but here we will be making pasta dough without eggs and it turned out to be perfect for my recipe. This recipe i have learn in my cooking classes from Bella mam. It is just perfect. I have made some changes in the sauce preparations. Although little time consuming but if you keep sauces prepared before, it wont take that much effort. This is a recipe, which is enough to impress your friends, family or guests. So bug up and prepare for your next Italian treat.
Recipe Type : Pasta, Main course
Cuisine : Italian
Serves : 4-5
Time : 60-70 minutes
For the pasta dough
- 1 cup Refined Flour
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the white sauce
- 1 tsp Refined Flour
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Dried basil
- 1/4 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp White pepper powder
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
For the pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves / Spinach
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- 5-6 Walnuts
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 15-16 Black Peppercorns
- 2 tbs Olive oil
For Red Sauce
- 4 Big Red Tomatoes
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Chopped onions
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbs Tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Red chili powder or flakes
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Processed cheese
- 15 Basil leaves/ baby spinach
- 1/2 cup Sweet corns (boiled)
- 4-5 Olives (sliced thinly)
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp Mixed herbs seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Mint Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili flakes
Method (Step by Step Lasagne recipe with pictures) :-
Prepare the sauces
1. To prepare white sauce mix refined flour, butter, milk, cheese spread, nutmeg powder in a pan and keep it on the flame. Keep stirring it till it thickens. Add basil, parsley, pepper powder, salt and sugar to the sauce, mix it and then take it out in a bowl.
2. To make pesto sauce, add all the ingredients in a mixer jar and crush with little water till smooth paste is formed.
3. To prepare red sauce, heat olive oil, add garlic and onions to it, saute onions till they become transparent, then add tomato paste and all other ingredients except tomato sauce and cook till raw smell of tomato disappears i.e. for almost 7-8 minutes. Now add tomato sauce and take it out in a bowl.
Note : To make tomato paste, boil the tomatoes for about 5-6 minutes and then grind them to smooth paste.
Make the pasta
4. Now we will prepare the dough, take refined flour and sieve it, add oil & salt and mix well. Add water and knead a medium tight dough. Apply little oil on the dough and knead it for 3-4 minutes. Cover it with a cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
5. Make small balls out of the flour and roll it very thin. Meanwhile boil water in a broad pan and put some salt and 1 tsp oil in it. Put this prepared pasta sheet in the boiling water and cook it for 3 minutes. Take it out and put in cold water. Take it out and put on a cloth. In the same way prepare all the lasagne sheets. Keep all the sheets separate, they break very easily.
6. Take a baking dish, first of all apply some tomato sauce in the bottom and then put two lasagne sheets on it, again apply tomato sauce, put sweet corns and 1/3 processed cheese on it. Now put second layer of lasagne (2 sheets), apply pesto sauce, some basil or spinach leaves and 1/3 processed cheese. For last layer again put 2 lasagne sheets, spread white sauce, remaining processed cheese and then mozzarella on the top.
7. Garnish with sliced olives and basil leaves. Now sprinkle chili flakes, black pepper, mint powder, mixed herbs on it. Keep it to bake for 20 minutes on 180 degrees in the convection mode. (Cheese should get little browned from above)
8. Take it out from oven. Our lasagne is ready. Cut it properly till bottom and serve in a way that you serve a piece of cake. All layers should be there on the plate. Enjoy the amazing cheesy and gooey pasta, you will fall in love with it.
- If your baking dish is of different shape then you can cut your pasta sheet before boiling in the shape of your dish.
- Addition of the amount of cheese depends on your personal preference.
- You can use ricotta or Parmesan or cheddar cheese also.
- Add veggies like capsicum, zucchini, broccoli or mushrooms for added taste. Saute these in little oil before adding to the lasagne.
- If you don’t want to make pasta at home, you can buy flat pasta sheets from the market. Cook them as per packet instructions and prepare in the same way as above.