Pulao is a very versatile dish which can be prepared with different vegetables and spices. It is popular around the world with different names and is prepared in different styles. Today I was not in a mood to eat chapatis and we had some carrots in the fridge. So I just made these easy and very quick carrot pulao.
I must say this recipe is so simple yet so flavorful and tasty. Also this recipe is very healthy, full of carrots and dry nuts. If you make this for children they won’t be able to take out the good carrot and I am sure will relish it totally. You can pack it for lunch also.
Recipe Type : Main course, Rice dish
Time: 30 minutes
1/2 cup Rice (sela rice)
1 Clove (laung)
1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
1 Cardomom (choti elaichi)
4-5 Peppercorns (kali mirch)
1 Small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
1 Medium sized onion (sliced)
5-6 Almonds (badam)
10 Raisins (kishmish)
1/4 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
2 tbs Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
1/4 tsp Chana dal and urad dal
1 pinch Onion seeds (kalonji)
1 cup Grated carrot (kisi hui gazar)
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder (hald)
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Raw mango powder (aamchur)
1 tbs Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya patte)
Method (Step by step carrot pulao recipe) :-
1. Wash your rice twice in water and then soak it for 10 minutes. Now take a pressure cooker and put strained rice, 1 1/4 cup of water , cinnamon, clove, cardomom, bay leaf and peppercorns in it. Close the lid and take 1 pressure on high flame and 1 on low flame. Switch off the gas and let the cooker cool on its own.
2. Meanwhile prepare other ingredients. Take a skillit, put oil in it and add onions, a pinch of salt, sugar in it and cook onions on medium flame. Add almonds after 1 minute and let onions caramelize. When onions turn little brown in colour take them out in a bowl and add raisins to them. Keep them aside.
3. In the same skillet, add mustard seeds, onion seeds, chana dal and urad dal. Heat it till mustard seeds start spluttering.
4. Add carrot and all spices in the skillet and mix well. Saute it till carrot gets cooked. (approx 3 minutes).
5. Open the cooker and remove the whole spices from it. Add the cooked rice in the carrot mixture and mix it lightly. Add coriander leaves and mix again. Switch off the flame.
6. Carrot pulav is ready to be served. Serve this pulav with a generous helping of caramelized onions and nuts on the top. Serve it with curd (sprinkled some black salt and cumin powder on it) and papad.
- You can prepare this recipe with beetroots also.
- Add more or less dry nuts as you like.
- You can add small cubed paneer with the onion too.
- If you have time, soak the rice for 1 hour. You will get even better results.
- You can serve it with any raita of your choice.
- Add lemon juice instead of raw mango powder for a different taste.