White Pumpkin (ashgourd) Curry or Kootu with coconut and curd
White Pumpkin Curry is very simple, light and healthy south indian curry made with coconut and curd with very mild spices. This curry is eaten with rice and is very good for stomach as it is pretty easy to digest. It is a simple day to day recipe and a comfort food for many people. It is known by various other names such as kumbalanga kuttan, poosanikkai mor kootu, kumbalanga pulisherry, or ash gourd curry.
White pumpkin also known as petha, ash gourd, winter melon, winter gourd is a squash which is very healthy and nutritious. It is low in calories and high in vitamins A, B6, C and E. Moreover, it contains minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, iron, folate, niacin and thiamine as well as carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. It is very good for ulcer patients, diabetics, thyroid etc.
You can aslo try palak paneer, baingan ka bharta etc.
Recipe type : Curry, Kootu, Vegetable
Cuisine : South Indian
Time : 40 minutes
Serves : 3-4
For the vegetable
- 250 gms White Pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 glass Water
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder (optional)
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves (chopped)
For the masala
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 4 Big Garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch Ginger
- 3 tbs Fresh coconut
- 2 Green chili (I did not add because of kids)
- 2 cups Buttermilk (or 1 cup curd with one cup water)
- 1 Whole dried red chili
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 9-10 Curry leaves
- 1 tbs Oil (coconut/vegetable)
Method (step by step white pumpkin curry recipe) :-
1. First of all wash the pumpkin, remove seeds, peel the skin and cut it into small cubes. Take pumpkin, turmeric, salt and water in a skillet and boil till pumpkin becomes soft. (or you can take 1 whistle in pressure cooker also for faster cooking)
2. Now mash the pumpkin a little with spoon. Take all the masala ingredients and grind in mixer grinder to a fine and smooth paste with some water. Add this paste, black pepper, cumin powder and red chili powder to cooked pumpkin and mix well. Cook it on a slow flame for 10 minutes.
3. Add buttermilk to the curry slowly and keep stirring it. Increase the flame and stir it till it comes to a boil.
4. Prepare the tempering in a tempering bowl and keep it to heat. Heat it till mustard seeds start spluttering. Add it to the curry. Add coriander leaves also at this stage and mix well. (I added red chili later because of children)
5. White Pumpkin curry or kootu is ready. Serve it with plain white rice or zeera rice.
- This curry can be prepared with yellow pumpkin or any squash like chayote also.
- Coconut can be avoided if you don’t like the taste. Grind the masala with curd instead.
- Use of green or red chili is up to your spice levels. They can be completely omitted.
Follow me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
[…] You can also try carrot rice, fried rice or white pumpkin curry. […]