Pasta Arrabiata or more commonly known as Red Sauce pasta in India is a pasta dish in a tomato based sweet, sour and spicy sauce. This sauce has many variations like some people don’t add garlic, some don’t add onions, some don’t add parsley etc. I found that this recipe worked best for me. Arrabiata sauce is spicy and if you don’t add chili to it, we will have marinara sauce. Italians use tomatoes in their cuisine very much and are very particular about its quality. Some would say that you should be using canned tomatoes for this sauce because they are of best quality. But canned italian tomatoes are pretty expensive in India, so I made this red sauce from fresh big red tomatoes.
It turned out to be delicious. Just remember to cook tomatoes very well. I have also added some sweet corns with the pasta, thats my personal choice. You can choose not to add them or you can add other veggies of your choice. Generally red pasta is made without veggies. Cool the sauce and crush it in mixer first if you want very smooth sauce, then again heat it, add cheese spread and then add pasta. In this pasta, addition of herbs is very important for the right flavor. Add fresh basil and parsley if you have.
Recipe Type : Main Course, Pasta
Cuisine : Italian
Time : 30 minutes
4 Tomatoes (big red)
4 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup Chopped onions
1 tsp Red chili flakes
1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
1/2 tsp Dried Basil
1/2 tsp Dried Mixed herbs/ oregano
1 cup Fusilli
2 tsp Cheese spread
2 tbs Sweet corn (optional)
1 Cheese cube (Processed cheese)
1 tsp Salt (orr to taste)
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Sliced black olives (to garnish) (optional)
2 tbs Olive oil/vegetable oil/sesame oil
Method (Step by Step Red sauce pasta recipe)
1. First of all we need to prepare tomato concasse, take tomatoes and blanch them in in boiling water for 5 minutes. Cool them and remove skin, seeds both. Chop the outer pulp of tomato and take out the juice from the removed parts of tomato by sieving (Chan lijiye) it. This juice and chopped pulp is toomato concasse.
2. Now prepare all the ingredients.
3. Boil 4 glasses water in a deep pan, add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil to it. When it comes to a rolling boil add fusilli in it and let it boil till AL Dante. When pasta was half done, i added sweet corns also. It took 10 minutes to get done. When done Sieve it and save 1 cup pasta water for sauce.
4. Meanwhile take a skillet (kadhai), put chopped garlic in it, let it get golden in color and then add onions, cook till onions become soft and translucent.
5. When onions become soft, add tomato concasse (Chopped tomato pulp and juice). Cook it till raw smell of tomato disappears and they get well mashed. (Approx. 10 minutes)
6. Now add parsley,basil,mixed herbs, black pepper, chili flakes, salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add 1 cup pasta water and cheese spread in the sauce, let it boil for 2 minutes and add boiled pasta to it. Mix very well for 2-3 minutes.
8. Pasta is ready to eat, serve it hot and garnish with olives and grated cheese.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
You can follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).