Butter Paneer Masala is a very popular paneer dish which can be found in the menu of all restaurants serving North Indian food. It is so creamy with a little hint of sweetness, it just tastes amazing. This recipe is apt for any big or small occasion. With the use of cashews it becomes creamy and adding cream adds that little sweetness. If you like sweeter gravy you can also add some sugar to the gravy.
I have used Homemade Paneer for this recipe, it gives that little extra soft and delicious melt in mouth paneer pieces. Market bought can also be used. This recipe has many versions, some of them call for onions, some don’t. You can make jain version by avoiding both onion and garlic too. Make it with full fat butter for extra taste, I have used half oil and half butter.
This tastes amazing with naan, garlic naan, pudina naan or even rice and roti. This time I could not take good pictures but next time I am going to update with some great pictures of the recipe. You can see more paneer recpes like matar paneer, palak paneer, chilli paneer.
- 2 Onions
- 1 Green chili
- 1 inch Ginger (adrak)
- 7-8 Garlic Cloves
- 10-12 Cashews (kaju)
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 tbs Oil
- 2 tbs Butter/makhan
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 1 Clove (laung)
- 1 piece Cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1/4 tsp Asaefoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Fresh Cream (malai)
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
Method (Step by Step Butter Paneer Masala recipe ) :-
1. First of all we will prepare all the pastes. Grind onion, garlic, ginger and green chili to form onion paste in a grinder. Add little water if required. Similarly make a paste of cashews with little water. Grind tomatoes separately. Three types of paste i.e. onion paste, cashew paste and tomato paste.
2. Take a wok and add oil, bay leaf, caraway seeds, clove, cinnamon, asafoetida in it. Heat the oil. When zeera starts moving, add butter and onion paste to it. Cook the onion paste till it leaves oil.
3. Once onion paste leaves oil, add cashew paste and cook it for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste, red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt. Mix it well.
4. Cook the tomato paste till leaves oil. Then add 1 glass of water to the gravy. Boil it for 5 minutes.
5. Add paneer cubes to the gravy and cook for 2 minutes on simmer. Switch off the flame.
6. Add cream, garam masala, kasuri methi and coriander leaves to the gravy. Cover for 5 minutes and Butter Paneer Masala is ready to serve. Serve hot with chapati, naan, butter naan, garlic naan, lachcha parantha or even rice.
- You can make this recipe without onion and garlic too.
- Prepare the recipe entirely in butter if you like.
- You can also serve some butter over the gravy if you like.
- Homemade paneer gives the best taste.
- Deep fry paneer pieces if you like and immerse in hot water, then add to the gravy.
- Add 1/2 tsp sugar for a sweeter version.