We all are familiar with idlis and pakodas, one is South Indian breakfast and other one North Indian snack. Its raining today and I felt like making pakodas but my grand mother wanted to eat idlis.
I was thinking what to do because craving for pakodas was too much to let go. So my mumma suggested to make idli pakodas, something innovative and fusion dish. I loved the idea and created these rawa idli sandwich pakoda.
These pakodas are a very amazing snack and i must tell you, idlis in pakodas tasted fantastic. I used filing between idlis to make it even more enticing and tasty. You can easily serve these pakodas as party starters. I am sure your guests will get impressed for sure. Lets start with this delicious recipe. Yum
Recipe Type : Snacks, Appetizer
Cuisine : Fusion of North and South Indian
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 1-2
- Oil for frying
For Idli Sandwich
- 4 Idlis
- 1 tbs Potato (julienned/thinly sliced)
- 1 tbs Chopped Capsicum
- 1 Chopped green chili
- 1 tbs Thin sliced onion
- 1 tbs Chopped deseeded tomato
- 1 cube Processes cheese cube (chopped)
- 1 tbs Malai /cream
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp Amchur /raw mango powder
For pakoda batter
- 3 tbs Gram flour
- 1 tbs Cornflour
- 1/2tsp Shah jeera
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel
- 1/8 tsp Carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp Chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt (or acc. to taste)
- 1 tsp Hot oil
Method (Step By Step Rawa Idli Sandwich Pakoda Recipe) :-
- Take all the ingredients for making the batter in a big bowl and add little water. Whisk the batter till smooth. Add oil and again whisk. ( I added approx. half a cup of water.) Do not make the batter thin otherwise it won’t coat the idlis well.
2. Now take a bowl and add potatoes, tomato, onion, capsicum and green chili in it. Mix it. Add cream and spices and give it a good mix. Now add cheese and mix again.
3. Cut idlis horizontally to make sandwiches. Put 1 tsp mixture between them and close it.
4. Take a big spoon and fill it with prepared batter, put idli sandwich on it. With help of another spoon pour batter over it and coat the idli well with batter.
5. In a skillet, pour oil and heat till it is hot. Now take idli sandwich spoon and slide it in the oil with help of another spoon. Similarly add other pakodas and do not overcrowd the skillet.
6. Keep flame high in the begining , turn the pakodas and reduce the flame. Fry the pakodas till golden brown.
7. Take it out in a plate and cut into two pieces. Serve with tomato sauce or green chutney. Relish the yummy rawa idli sandwich pakodas the way you like.
Notes / Tips :-
- Filing can be changed according to you liking, you can use regular potato filing or exotic vegetable filing, or dal or namkeen etc. Any combination you like.
- If you find this difficult then try making stuffed idlis and coat them with batter to fry.
- Cheese slice can also be used in this recipe.
- Spice levels can be adjusted to your taste.
- You can also make the same recipe using bread that will make sandwich pakodas.