Kulche Chole is a very popular Indian Street Food which regionally belongs to Punjab. Amritsari chole kulche are like heaven in your mouth. Cholas served with this dish are made from Yellow peas (matar). Hence they are called matara chole. These matara chole have a very unique taste which is fresh and spicy. Preparing these cholas is not difficult at all. So why wait start preparing for this delicious, mouth watering recipe.
You can also try mc puff, aloo matar samosa or khandvi recipe. Yum
Recipe Type :- Chaat, Street Food
Cuisine :- Punjabi
Time :- 60 minutes
Serves :- 5-6
For the matar cholas
- 1 Big Onion sliced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 Clove
- 1 Cardomom
- 7-8 Peppercorns
- 1 Small piece of cinnamon
- 3 tbs Oil
- 1 cup Chopped Tomato
- 1 cup Chopped Boiled Potato
- 1 tsp Chopped green chili (or acc. to desired spiciness)
- 2 cups Matar chole/ Yellow peas
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
For the chola masala
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mint Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Raw mango powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
Method (Step By Step Matara Chole Recipe) :-
1. First off all soak the yellow peas in water for 2 hours. Now take out the water and and pressure cook the peas for up to four whistles (one on high flame and 3 on low flame) with 3 glasses of water and a pinch of baking soda.
2. Take a skillet and add oil, bayleaf, cumin, clove, cardamom, peppercorn, cinnamon and onions to it. Saute the onions till they become soft.
3. Meanwhile prepare chola masala by mixing all the masala ingredients together.
4. When onions become soft, add chopped tomatoes, potatoes, green chili and chola masala to it.
5. Cook this mixture till oil separates. (approx 3-4 minutes)
6. Now add boiled peas, mix it and cook for 4 minutes.
7. Switch off the flame and take it out in a serving bowl. Garnish with onion slices, tomato slices and green chili and coriander leaves.
8. Take a seasoning bowl, add 1 tbs oil to it, when it becomes little hot, add red chili powder to it and immediately pour it over the garnished cholas.
9. Cholas are now ready to be served with kulchas. Enjoy the cholas with some lemon juice and chopped onions along with kulchas. Yum
- Make them more spicy as per your desire by adding more red chili, green chili and black pepper.
- Add little garlic if you like.