Chayote or chow chow is a fruit from the gourd family. It tastes like cucumber and can be eaten both in raw and cooked form. It is very rich source of Vitamin C and Amino acids. It can be added to salads also and can be used as crudites. Chayote curry or chow chow curry is a very common dish prepared in southern part of India. It is usually eaten with rice, but can be enjoyed with rotis or puris as well.
In this dish, fennel imparts a very sweet and distinct flavor to the curry. You can try more south indian curry recipes like aviyal, white pumpkin curry etc. Yum
Recipe Type :- Curry, Vegetable
Cuisine :- South Indian
Serves :- 4
Time :- 30 Minutes
- 1 Chayote Squash
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Oil (coconut/vegetable)
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1-2 Green Chili
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2-3 Whole dried red chili
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Onion seeds
- 1/4 tsp Chana dal
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- 10-12 Curry leaves
Method (Step By Step Chow Chow Curry Recipe with pictures) :-
- Peel and cut the chayote squash in two pieces. Remove seeds and chop it into small cubes.
2. Now take 2 glasses of water in a skillet and boil it, put turmeric, salt and chayote squash in it. Boil for 5 minutes or till squash becomes little tender.
3. Meanwhile take a skillet (kadhai) and put oil, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida in it and put it to heat.
4. When mustard starts spluttering add garlic cloves, ginger and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, red chilies and cook till raw smell of tomato disappears (approx. 4 minutes).
6. Now switch off the gas and let the masala cool. Make a paste out of it when cooled down. Add this puree to cooked chow chow and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Now prepare tempering, take a tempering bowl, add oil, mustard seeds, onion seeds, chana dal, urad dal in it and cook till mustard starts spluttering. Add curry leaves to it and add to the curry.
8. Chow chow curry is now ready, put off the gas and add coriander leaves to it. Mix it well.
10. Serve the prepared curry with rice or roti.
- You can also try adding 2 tbs fresh grated coconut to the masala. It will impart little creaminess to the curry.
- Same way you can prepare ash gourd, bottle gourd, or any pumpkin curry.
- The skin of chayote can be used to make a yummy chutney for it is also edible and has a distinct flavor.