Pineapple is a tropical fruit which has a very strong fragrance and nice sweet tangy taste. It is rich source of Vitamin C and manganese. Pineapple is widely used in cooking such as dessert toppings, cakes, juices, mocktails, cocktails and even in savoury dishes like pizza toppings, burgers and pineapple tikka, jam, jelly etc. Preparing canned pineapple at home make it very convenient to use.
The best pineapple for canning are yellowish (little green is ok but not whole) from outside but still firm, sweet in taste. Do not use unripe fruit for canning. You can smell the pineapple, right pineapple smells sweet and very fragrant. It does not require any preservatives to preserve it and only sugar and water solution is enough to can pineapple. Although it is very important to use sterilized jars to store it and also take care that they are well immersed in sugar syrup.
I am kind of allergic to fresh pineapples, it makes my stomach upset and my mouth starts itching. But somehow these canned pineapples work for me pretty good. The syrup prepared gets a nice aroma and flavor of pineapple, you can use that too as a sharbat or in your mocktails.
How to sterilize glass jars? Well, it is pretty much easy. Just boil some water and put your washed glass jars in the hot boiled water for 10 minutes. Take them out and let them dry on their own. You can also add a pinch of baking soda to the water. Sterilized jars are ready for any preserve, pickle etc.
Recipe Type: Food Preservation
Time : 60 minutes
Shelf life : 1 year
- 1 Pineapple (Ripe)
- 500 gms Sugar (2 cups)
- 250 gms Water (1 cup)
Method (Step by step canned pineapple recipe):-
1. Prepare Ingredients. To cut the pineapple in the right way, see this link on simply recipes – How to Cut a pineapple?
2. Take a big deep pan and put sugar and water in it. Switch on the flame. Stir the mixture till sugar dissolves completely.
3. Let the sugar water mixture boil till it foams on the top. Switch off the flame.
4. Now add pineapple pieces to the sugar water mixture and again put it on flame and boil till it again foams on the top. Cook it on medium flame for 3 more minutes. Switch off the flame.
5. Let it cool completely. It is now ready. Fill it in sterilized glass jar. Keep in refrigerator.
- Always fill the mixture in a sterilized glass jar and in refrigerator.
- Fill it when it is completely cold.
- The jar must have a airtight cap.
- It can be used in many recipes like pineapple raita, dessert toppings, cakes etc
- Pineapple should be ripe but firm.
- The syrup is also very good, you can use it to make mocktails or sharbat. But remember pineapple pices should be immersed in syrup otherwise it may get fungus.
- No need to use any preservatives.
- You can preserve any hard fruits like pineapple the same way.