Batata Vada is a Maharashtrian street food snack which is prepared from potato filing and gram flour coating. It is a deep fried fast food item which is served with green chutney. It is a delicious snack which can be served both in breakfast or as a evening snack. Batata is basically a portuguese word which means potato. These vadas can be of various variations due to the immense possibility of changes in the recipe. You can altar the spices according to your own preference.
These batata vadas can be used to prepare famous mumbai street food – Vada Pav. It can also be used to prepare batata vada chats with curd, green chutney, tamarind chutney, sev and pomegranate. Some possible additions to the recipe can be of paneer, grated veggies or dry nuts. If you like spicy food, serve these vadas with fried salted green chili. You can also serve it with tomato sauce or tamarind chutney.
Recipe Type : Snack
Time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4-5 people
For the Stuffing
4 Boiled Potatoes
1 Green Chili (chopped)
1/4 cup Green Peas
4 cloves Garlic (chopped finely)
1 Onion (chopped)
2 tbs Coriander leaves (chopped)
1 tsp Raisins (kishmish)
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Black salt
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black pepper powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Raw mango powder (amchur)
1 tsp Roasted cumin powder (bhuna zeera)
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
1/2 tsp Cumin (zeera)
10-12 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asaefoetida (hing)
For the Batter
2 cups Besan (Gram flour)
1 cup Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp Baking soda (mitha soda)
2 tbs Pomegranate seeds (Anar dane)
A few Coriander leaves
1/2 tsp Chaat masala
To deep fry
Mustard oil/Vegetable oil
Method (step by step batata Vada recipe with photos)
1. Prepare all the ingredients for stuffing.
2. Take a big bowl and mash the potatoes, add all the masalas in it and mix well.
3. Take a skillet, put oil in it and add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves, asafoetida in it and put it to heat.
4. When mustard seeds start cracking, add garlic, onion, green chili and green peas to it. Saute for 3 minutes till green peas get cooked.
5. Now add prepared potato mixture in it and give it a good mix. Roast it for 1 minute. Add coriander leaves and raisins and mix well. Take it out in a bowl. Let it cool.
6. Meanwhile we will prepare the batter. Take a bowl and put besan and water in it. Beat it till it becomes smooth.
7. Add red chili, salt, soda, 1 tsp oil and asafoetida to the batter and give it a good mix. Batter should be little thick so that it coats well.
8. We will now prepare balls out of the potato mixture of the size of a walnut (akhrot). If you feel peas are more than you can leave some peas, but make smooth balls.
9. Take a skillet and put oil in it to deep fry. When oil becomes hot, dip potato balls in batter and carefully put into the oil on high flame.
10. When it becomes golden from one side, turn the vadas. Fry till golden and crisp from all sides. Reduce the flame and take out the koftas. (Do not overcrowd the oil with koftas, fry in small batches)
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle chat masala and serve with green chutney or tomato sauce and fried green chili.
Notes/ Tips :-
- You can make it spicy or less spicy according to your preference.
- Add some veggies or grated paneer to change the taste.
- You can add dry nuts to make it rich.
- It can be used to prepare vada pav also.
- Serve it with curd and chutney to enjoy chat of batata vada.