White Gravy is a curd and dry nut based gravy which is very popular in North Indian cuisine. White gravy is very subtle flavored gravy and often very rich and creamy. This gravy is prepared without tomatoes so curd becomes the prime ingredient for sourness. This is a basic gravy which can be made with different ingredients like mushrooms, paneer, fried potato, litchi, koftas, broccoli etc.
It is little sweet because of cashews and melon seeds. These dry nuts impart creaminess, richness and little sweetness to the gravy. For little spiciness we add ginger, green chili, white/black pepper powder. This gravy can also be used as dip for crudites (Raw vegetables that can be eaten as it is). It is basic recipe and can be modified in different ways.
Recipe Type : Gravy, vegetable
Cuisine : North Indian
Serves : 4-5
Time : 50 minutes
For the onion paste
- 2 Green Chili
- 10-12 Cashews
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 4 Onions
- 1 tbs Oil
For the dry nut paste
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 2 tbs Melon seeds
For the gravy
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 Clove
- 1 piece Dry Red Chili
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Phool Makhana/ fox nuts/ lotus seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Mint powder
- 2 tbs Chopped coriander leaves
Method (Step by step White gravy recipe with pictures) :-
- First of all Soak the cashews and melon seeds in warn water for about 30 minutes. Then grind into fine paste.
2. Now take all ingredients of onion paste in a skillet and cook them for about 5-6 minutes. Cool them and grind into fine coarse paste without water.
3. Take a skillet, add oil, bay leaf, cumin seeds, clove, dry red chili and asafoetida in it and put it to heat.
4. When cumin starts moving add onion paste in it and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Now add dry nut paste and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir it every 30 seconds. Add salt, black pepper,white pepper pepper, mint powder in it. Mix well.
6. Take curd and churn it in grinder for 5 seconds. Add into the gravy on medium heat. Mix it well and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Meanwhile soak the the phool makhana in warm water or milk for 10-15 minutes. Add in the gravy and mix well.
8. Cook gravy for 2 minutes and add coriander leaves. You can add any vegetable of your choice like paneer, mushroom etc in the gravy. Serve it with roomali roti or zeera rice.
- You can add 3 tbs of cream for extra rich and creamy taste.
- Add mawa for a rich texture.