Fried rice or Chinese fried rice is a Indo-Chinese recipe which is flavored with chinese spices and condiments. This recipe is a complete dish in itself and goes perfectly well with any chinese gravy like chilli paneer, veg manchurian, gobhi manchurian, chow chow, chinese vegetables in sweet and sour sauce etc. Fried rice can be prepared with basmati rice or any long grain rice. I prefer to use Sela Rice (Double chabi) . You can use many veggies in this rice like carrots, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms, sprouts, zucchini, bell peppers etc. It is up to your choice what you want to use.
Flavored with soya sauce, chilli sauce and vinegar it tastes great. It is a very simple dish with lots of flavors and lots of veggie goodness. Fried rice is usually prepared with leftover rice and vegetables. You can make it with freshly boiled rice too but rice needs to be cold before stir frying them. Rice needs to be Al Dante and definitely not overcooked. We stir fry all the veggies and and rice because we don’t want to loose the crunchiness of veggies. It gives you a wonderful opportunity to include variety of veggies in you meal. It makes this dish tasty and very nutritive too.
Fried rice is usually served spiced up with indian masalas like red chili powder in restaurants. But i like to keep it more chinese than indian. You can use coriander, spring onions, celery, fried onions etc to garnish it. Fried rice is made all around the world and is a very popular dish having too many variations. There are lots of non-vegetarian versions too. Lets start with this simple and versatile recipe.
Recipe type: Main Course
Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Time: 15-20 minutes
3 cups Boiled rice (Boiled with little salt)
1 Onion (Sliced or chopped)
1/2 cup Sliced carrot
1/2 cup Bell pepper (chopped or cut lengthwise)
3/4 cup Cabbage (chopped or shredded)
1/2 cup Spring onion whites (chopped or sliced)
1/2 cup Spring onion greens (chopped)
2 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp Green chilies (chopped)
2 tsp Green chili sauce
2 tsp White vinegar/cider
2 tbs Soya sauce
3 tbs Sesame oil/vegetable oil
1/4 tsp Ajinomoto (optional)
1/2 tsp White pepper powder
1/2 tsp Salt (or according to taste)
Method (Step by step recipe or chinese fried rice with photos)
1. Prepare all the ingredients first.
2. Take a skillet, pour in oil and keep it to heat. When the oil becomes hot add green chilies and ginger-garlic paste to it and cook it till raw smell of garlic disappears.
3. Now add in onions, carrot, spring onion whites, cabbage and capsicum and stir fry the veggies on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in salt, ajinomoto, pepper powder and give it a quick mix. Add boiled rice to it and mix lightly. Do not break the rice.
5. Now add soya sauce, vinegar and chili sauce and mix again. You can reduce the flame if you find it difficult to do on high flame. Add half of the spring onion greens and mix lightly.
6. Serve it and garnish with spring onion greens or coriander leaves or celery or parsley or fried onions. Serve it with any chinese gravy of your choice.I served it with Veg manchurian. They are the best combination.
- You can spice up this dish with more chilli sauce or you can add red chilli sauce also.
- You can also add red chilli powder to it if you want.
- Add 3 tbs of schezuan sauce to make schezuan fried rice.
- Ajinomoto should not be used if cooking for pregnant women or infants.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
You can follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).