If you are a Indian food lover, you just cannot miss this simple dal tadka from your daily routine menu. Dal tadka is healthy comfort food which can be prepared easily and with less ingredients at home. This is a recipe which is not exotic but still is served in every single Indian food restaurant because of its simplicity and popularity among people.
In spite of having so many exotic dish options people will not leave Dal out. This gives you that homely food feel along with restaurant style tadka. So why not to try out the same tadka at home. We just need to cook dal along with all ingredients and then season it with ghee and aromatic spices.
If you like the smoky flavor, then we need to have charcoal for that. Just take a charcoal and burn it on gas, put it in a bowl and add ghee over it. Put this bowl in the dal and cover it. Open after 10 minutes. Restaurant style smoky dal will be ready. Yum
Dal is the comfort food for all people who miss their home in strange cities. This simple dal tadka will remind you of your mother and i am sure you will love it.
Recipe Type : Dal, Vegetable
Cuisine : North Indian
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4-5
For the dal
- 1 cup Dal (Combination of arhar (tuwar) and moong dal )
- 2 tbs Chana dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 Bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 tsp Crushed garlic (पीसा हुआ लहसून)
- 2 Medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 tsp Kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 1 tsp Chopped green chili
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder (जीरा चूर्ण)
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
For the seasoning
- 2 tbs Clarified Butter (घी)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/4 tsp Asaefoetida (हींग)
- 2 Dried whole red chili (पूरे लाल मिर्च सूखे)
- 2 Green chili (halved)
- 7-8 Curry leaves (करी पत्ते)
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves chopped (धनिये के पत्ते)
Method (Step by Step Dal Tadka recipe) :-
1. Take all the dals (moong, chana and arhar), wash twice with water and soak them in water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Sieve the dal and put it into pressure cooker, add all other ingredients of dal in it and pressure cook on high flame till one whistle and then on low flame till 2 whistle. Switch off the flame and let the cooker cool down.
3. Open the cooker when cooled down. Now we will prepare the seasoning. You can take out the dal in the serving bowl before adding the tadka.
4. Take a tempering bowl, add ghee, cumin, dried red chili, green chili, asafoetida in it and let it cook till colour of red chili changes a little. Add curry leaves and then switch off the flame. Add red chili powder and immediately add it to the dal.
5. Garnish the Dal with coriander leaves. Mix and serve. Enjoy the restaurant style dal tadka with rice, chapati or any Indian bread.
- You can make the jain version by omitting onion and garlic.
- To make it more spicy add some more garam masala in the end.
- You can make it with one dal also of your liking. Make it with either tuvar dal or moong dal. You can also add pink masoor dal in this recipe.