This Rakshabandhan I was not willing to buy sweets from the market for my sweet brothers. So I made these two delicious sweets coconut barfi and lauki barfi . Both are super tasty and easy to prepare. Making sweets at home is a bit time consuming but totally worth it, specially when you make it for your loved ones and puts lots of love into it. Coconut and Lauki are both very healthy ingredients themselves so you are also adding health into the sweets in the form of fiber, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin c, iron and many more nutrients.
It is made with milk and sugar. I know sugar is not healthy but sweets are supposed to be sweet. Right? Overall these barfi are much more healthy than the market ones and pretty yummy too. When i was making it it was really difficult to take proper pictures but i have tried my best 😛
Lets start with the recipe
Recipe Type : Sweet
Cuisine : Indian
Time: 60-90 minutes approx.
- 2 kg Full fat milk
- 2 cups Grated Lauki
- 2 cups Grated Coconut
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 pinch Cardamom Powder
- 1 pinch Green Colour
- 1tbs Desiccated coconut
- 1tbs Dry nuts
Method (Step by step coconut and lauki barfi recipe)
- Take two skillets (kadhai), pour 1 kg milk in each of the skillet and keep it to heat.
2. Now in 1 skillet add 1 cup sugar and coconut, in other skillet add 1 cup sugar and lauki.
3. Put cardamom powder in both skillets.
4. Cook both the mixtures till they dry out. (You can cook on high flame or low flame both, but keep an eye and keep stirring in between). The mixture has a tendency to stick so stirring every now and then is very important.
5. It looks like this when done. In lauki mixture, i have added a pinch of green color (You can avoid if you don’t want to add color)
6. Take a big deep plate and grease it with little desi ghee (Clarified butter) from inside.
7. Pour mixtures one by one in the plate and set 1/2 an inch thick layer. Flatten it with a greased spatula or flat spoon.
8. Garnish coconut barfi with coconut powder (desiccated coconut), and lauki barfi with dry nuts of your choice. Cut it when barfi sets well and serve.
This barfi turned out absolutely scrumptious. Everybody loved it. You must try. Please let me know how it turned out for you. Please comment below 🙂
- If you want to reduce the cooking time, reduce the quantity of milk and put 250gm of mawa(khoya) when mixture dries out, cook it for another 2-3 minutes. Taste will remain same. Cooking time will be reduced to half.
- Same way you can make carrot, beetroot, green pea barfi also.
- If making for a diabetic patient, do not add sugar and when the the mixture dries out, switch off the gas and add sugar free powder.
Follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).