Summer or as I call it, Season of Juicy, tangy, sweet, delicious Mangoes.
Mangoes are called the king of fruits and no doubt it is one of the most relished fruit of all. In India, there are so many varieties of mangoes that you just cant get enough. Every year Mango festival is organized in Delhi and i have not yet been there. But this year I have to be there, then i will share my experience here. So today I am going to share Raw Mango (Kairi) Preserve/Jam Recipe.
Raw mangoes have started to come as summer has knocked on the door. Raw mangoes are very tangy and often are used in many recipes like pickles, chach, drinks, pani puri, rice etc. Raw mango pickle is the most popular pickle in India and is loved by all. This jam is a very healthy and fresh alternative to market made preserves.
It is very easy to prepare this jam, and tastes very fresh. You can use like a chutney or spread also. The raw mango for this recipe should be a little ripe, it is should be too tangy. You can take the raw mangoes with a little yellowish hue. Lets start with the recipe.
Recipe type : Preserve, Food Preservation
Cuisine : Indian
Shelf life : 1 month
Time : 30 minutes
- 2 Raw Mangoes (approx. 400 gms)
- 400 gms Sugar (approx. one glass)
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
Method (Raw Mango (Kairi) Preserve/Jam Recipe) :
1. Take the raw mangoes, wash them and wipe clean. Peel the hard green skin with a peeler.
2. Remove the pulp with a knife, take it in a grinder and grind to a smooth paste. (Do not add water)
3. Take a deep heavy bottom pan, add raw mango paste and sugar to it. Keep it heat and cook while continuously stirring on high heat.
4. You have to stir continuously till it gets done. To check if its done, take a drop on a plate and see if any water comes on the sides. If no water comes, then its ready. It is called plate test.
5. Switch off the flame and add salt and pepper. Mix well and take it out in a glass bowl.
6. Raw mango jam is ready. I have used plastic bowl but use glass bowl/jar only to keep it for long time. Relish the taste of this simple yet delicious jam when cold.
- Raw mango should not be too tangy. take the once which are little ripe.
- You can keep the raw mango for 2-3 days in hot place to ripen it.
- You can keep it without preservative for a month when stored in refrigerator in a glass jar or bowl.
- You can adjust sugar according to the tanginess of raw mangoes or to your taste.
- Do not add water in any step.