Baingan Bharta is a very common vegetable side dish prepared in different ways by different people. It is a very very simple dish dish with few ingredients and a perfect dish with rotis or phulkas. In this brinjal is roasted on open fire or on coals in tandoor which gives it a very distinct smoky flavor. This dish can be spiced heavily or mildly, it tastes good both ways. You can prepare it without onions and garlic too and then also it tatses great.
For this recipe, you need big brinjals which we also call bharte wala baingan. Brinjal which feels light are best as they do not have ripe seeds. It can be called the baba ganoush (a very popular middle east dish) of India.
Recipe Type: Vegetable, side dish
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Big brinjal/aubergine/eggplant (Baingan) (approx 500-700 gms)
- 1 tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 6-7 cloves Garlic
- 2 Cloves (laung)
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1 tsp Green chili (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Raw mango powder
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tbs Mustard oil
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves (chopped)
Method (step by step baingan bharta recipe)
- First of all, take the brinjal rwash it well and then wipe it with a cloth. Make little slits in it to put garlic cloves and laung in it.
2. Now put this brinjal on to open flame to roast it. To roast the baingan you need to turn it when it get done from one side until all of the outer skin become hard and it gets nicely roasted. Take it off the flame and to remove the skin, immerse your fingers in cold water and remove it. Do it gently. (Do not burn your finger.)
- You can add green peas and capsicum for more flavor along with onions.
- You can make baingan bharta without onions and garlic too, it tastes good even then.
- It can be roasted in microwave or convention but this gas stove method gives it the best flavor.
- To remove the skin more easily, you can immerse the roasted baingan in bowl full of cold water and then peel it.