Cakes are just the perfect sweet dessert to celebrate any occasion. Be it a birthday or anniversary or any success or anything else, cakes are just the best way to celebrate it. Blowing candles, making a wish and then cutting the cake with a beautiful song is just all so happy and joyous things to do. It was my mumma’s birthday, so i just thought lets make a black forest cake for her. Although I am still struggling with the art of baking. I conquered cookies, patties, and now i am trying to excel with cakes. Surprisingly this time, my cake turned out to be really amazing in taste. My friend said it was better than bakery one. I was so so pleased to hear that. Although icing was not very clean and perfect but still it looked nice and i think i did pretty good for the first time.
For this cake, i prepared two chocolate sponge cakes. I didn’t have fresh cherries so instead i used karonda berries (Natal plum cherry). It is easily available, affordable and works pretty good. In Jaipur, i have seen many bakeries use these instead of cherries. I have also used rum in the black forest cake recipe for just some flavor, you can avoid it . You can use orange juice or cherry syrup or black cold drink instead. Instead of rum, kirsch can also be used which is a cherry liquor.
Icing can be prepared at home or can be bought from bakery. I bought whipped cream from a near by bakery. Making whipped cream is something, I am not sure about. If you want to prepare whipped cream at home, you can see the recipe from this link How to prepare whipped cream at home?
You can also try chocolate sandwich.
Recipe Type: Dessert, Bakery
Time: 2-3 hours (Baking, icing and preparations)
For The Sponge cake (for 1)
- 1 cup Refined Flour (maida)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda (meetha soda)
- 2 tbs Coco Powder (Weikfield)
- 2 tsp Bournvita
- 1 tsp Chocolate powder
- 1/4 cup Condensed milk
- 2 tbs Thick curd
- 1/4 cup Olive oil/Refined oil
- 1/4 cup Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Fresh cream/malai
- 2 tbs Rum
- 2 tbs Ground Sugar (Pisi hui chini)
- 1 pinch Eno
For Sugar Syrup
- 2 tbp Sugar
- 4 tbs Rum
- 2 tbs Water
- 4 drops Orange essence
- 250 gms Whipped cream
- 100 gms Dark Chocolate Compound (Morde’s brand)
- 3 tbs Chopped Cherries/ Karonda berries
- 7-8 Whole cherries
Method (Step By step Black forest cake recipe)
1. First of all take a big plate/ thali and a sieve (Chalni), put refined flour, baking powder, coco powder, baking soda and chocolate powder in it and sift it 2 time so that everything get well mixed and refined.
2. Take a baking dish and grease it a little with butter or oil. Dust some maida in it and remove extra. We need very thin coating of maida in it. Then put a butter paper in the dish and grease it a little.
3. Now take a bowl, pour sugar , oil, bournvita in it and beat it with a beater until smooth. (Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180 degrees). I changed my bowl because first one was not enough deep so batter was getting out in the process.
5. Now add the maida mixture in it little by little and gently fold it in with a spoon. Add rum and mix well. The consistency should be thick but if you feel it is too thick than you can add little milk or some more rum.
7. Bake the cake in a preheated oven on 180 degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes check if it is done by inserting a knife. If it comes out clean, cake is done.If it is not done, bake for 5 more minutes. Take it out. Now let the cake cool completely and then turn it on a plate and remove butter paper. Similarly make one more cake.
Prepare sugar syrup
1. Take sugar and water in a pan and heat it till sugar dissolves completely. Take it out in a bowl. When it gets a little cold add rum and orange essence in it.
Icing the cake
1. Take the cakes and cut it into two slices with the help of a big knife, very carefully, so that both parts are equal in size.
2. Melt Half of the chocolate in microwave or on a double boiler.( Keep chocolate in a glass bowl for 2 minutes in microwave and then mix it well.) Grate remaining half for decoration.
3. Take one slice and soak it with sugar syrup with a brush. Now apply a layer of whipped cream on it and pour some liquid chocolate on it. Put 1 tbs of chopped cherries on it. and put second cake layer on it. Similarly arrange all cake layers till the last one. (I forget to take pictures for all layers)
5. With the help of a big flat spoon transfer the black forest cake on a plate with the help of a big flat spoon. Keep it in the fridge for 4 hours before serving.
- If you have canned cherries use them or use preserved karonda berries like me.
- If you want to decorate the cake with cream more, than you will need 100 gms more whipped cream. Use a cone and any cake decoration nozzle you like to make designs.
- You can prepare sponge cake, a day before which I did too. Keep it in a airtight container and keep cake wrapped in a soft cotton cloth.
- You can use orange juice, cherry syrup, rum or black cold drink to soak cake instead of sugar syrup alone.
- It is very important to keep whipped cream in freezer for at least 4 hours before icing.
- If whipped starts to melt during icing than you can keep cake and whipped cream in fridge for 1/2 hour and than again start icing.