Beetroot rice is a very easy and tasty way of including this super food beetroot in your diet. Beetroot is the powerhouse of nutrients such as folate, fiber, vitamin c and antioxidants. Beetroot is good for overall body health, hair, skin and helps in detoxification. Beetroot is also very low in calories so it is perfect for people following a diet.
Beetroot are bright reddish pink in color which makes them excellent coloring agent also for any recipe. Beetroot rice can be prepared in different ways. I am using a very simple method to prepare rice. This is a really good lunch recipe which is filing and also nutritious. You can use brown rice also to prepare beetroot rice. Yum
Recipe Type : Rice, lunch
Cuisine : South Indian
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2-3
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds (shah zeera)
- 1 Clove (laung)
- 1 small peice Cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 Bay leaf (tejpatta)
- 1/2 tsp Chana dal and urad dal
- 1 pinch Onion seeds (kalonji)
- 2 tbs Arhar daal (washed and soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- 2 Chopped Onions
- 2 Beetroots -grated (chukandar)
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1.4 tsp Turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 Tomato – chopped
- 3/4 cup Rice (washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- 2 tsp Chives/spring onion greens chopped
- to garnish Coriander leaves and beetroot
Method (Step By step Beetroot rice recipe with pictures) :-
1. First of all take a pressure cooker and put oil, mustard seeds, caraway seeds, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf. chana dal, urad dal in it and keep it to heat.
2. When mustard seeds start spluttering, add arhar dal and roast for 2 minutes. Then add onions and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now add grated beetroot, give it a mix. Add all the spices red chili powder, turmeric, salt, black pepper etc. Mix it well.
4. Add the tomatoes and mix it well. Add rice and again give it a good mix. Add 2 cups of water and close the the lid. Take 1 pressure on high flame and one on low flame.
5. Switch off the gas, let the cooker cool on its own and then open it. Add chopped chives and mix.
6. Beetroot rice is now ready to serve. Garnish with coriander shrubs, beetroot fan and serve with curd.
- Use of arhar dal is optional, it can be avoided.
- Adjust the spice level according to your own taste.