Khaman Dhokla is basically steamed gram flour dumplings usually served as a snack. Dhokla is extremely popular in Gujarat and also outside Gujarat. It is healthy and also deliciously sweet and sour in taste. Many people find it very difficult to replicate the right taste and texture of dhokla.
Although with this recipe, you can anytime prepare yummy gorgeous fluffy soft and spongy dhoklas at home. For this recipe, batter need not be prepared in advance. Try this Instant Khaman Dhokla recipe at home. You can also see khandvi recipe.
Recipe type :- Breakfast, Snack, Healthy
Cuisine :- Gujarati
Time :- 30 minutes + 1 hour
Serves :- 5-6
- 2 cups Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 cup Curd (dahi)
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Citric Acid
- 1/4 tsp Asaefoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste (adrak )
- 1 tsp Green chili paste
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Soda
- 4 tbs Semolina (suji)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Eno Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
- 2 tbs Slit Green Chilies
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2 glass Water
- 1/8 tsp Citric acid
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Chopped coriander (hara dhaniya)
Method (Step By Step Khaman Dhokla recipe with pictures ) :-
1. First of all take besan in a seive and sift it. Then add all ingredients of batter except oil and eno. Mix and whisk all the ingredients very well till you get a smooth and shiny batter without any lumps.
2. Meanwhile, put your steamer on heat with sufficient water and let it steam. Grease a dhokla plate with little oil.
3. When water starts steaming, put the greased dhokla plate in the steamer. Now in the dhokla batter, put oil in the centre and add eno above it. Mix it lightly and well so that the batter will get nice and fluffy.
4. Immediately pour dhokla batter in the plate and steam it for 20 minutes (10 minutes on high and 10 minutes on low). After 20 minutes check with a knife. Knife should come clean after inserting in the dhokla.
5. Take out the dhokla plate carefully. Try not to burn yourself with steam. Let it cool for 10 minutes and then turn it upside down in another plate.
6. Make cuts in the dhokla. Meanwhile we will prepare the tempering. Add oil in a wok and add mustard seeds.
7. When mustard seeds start cracking add curry leaves and green chili. Saute for 2 minutes and add water to it.
8. Also add salt, sugar and citric acid in the water and let it boil. Switch off the gas after the water has boiled.
9. Pour this water on dhoklas and leave them for 20 minutes. They will soak all the water.
10 Garnish with coriander leaves and serve khaman dhokla with green chutney and tomato sauce.
- For garnishing, you can also use freshly grated coconut or temper with some sesame seeds if you like.
- You can also make it with lemon juice but market like taste will only come from citric acid.
- Make sure to add eno when you actually steam the dhokla, dont leave the batter after adding eno. If you are making more than add eno in batches.
- You can also try a different version by tempering only with oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and coriander. No water or condiments.