Paneer or cottage cheese is a favorite among most of North Indians whereas spinach is a vegetable which is very healthy but not liked by most people. But i m sure whether you like spinach or not, you will love the taste of this palak paneer gravy.
Spinach is full of iron and minerals and is considered a super food for health. Paneer is also very healthy enriched with proteins and calcium. I have prepared this Palak Paneer gravy with very less fat so this gravy is not just delicious but very nutritious too. You can use tofu instead of paneer and soy milk instead of normal milk if you are having dairy allergies. Addition of fresh cream is for added richness and creamy flavor, you can avoid if you don’t want.
Recipe type : Gravy, Vegetable
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: 60 min
Serves: 4-5 people
250gm Paneer/cottage cheese (cut in triangles or any desired shape)
2cups Tomato paste (crush tomatoes in mixer)
1cup Onion paste
1cup Finely chopped onion
2 Green chillies
1tsp Ginger grated
1tsp Garlic crushed
1tsp Cumin (zeera)
1/2tsp Caraway seeds (shah zeera)
2 Bay leaf
5-6 Whole Black peppercorns
1 Clove (laung)
2tsp Coriander powder
3/4tsp Cumin powder
1tsp Red chilli powder
1/4tsp Garam masala
2tbs Malai/fresh cream
Method (Step by step Palak Paneer recipe with photos)
- Prepare ingredients for palak paneer.
2. Take a deep pan, put 1 cup water, spinach, green chilies and a pinch of sugar in it. Boil it on medium flame for 5min. Switch off the flame and keep covered for 5 more minutes, drain the water. Pour cold water on it. Let the spinach cool and puree in blender.
3. Take a skillet (kadhai), put oil, cumin, bay leaf, caraway seeds, 1 cardamom, peppercorns in it. Keep it to heat and when cumin starts moving, add chopped onions and saute till golden in color.
4. Now add ginger, garlic and onion paste to it and roast it till it changes color.
5. Add tomato paste, salt, red chili, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric to the onion paste, mix and cook till it leaves oil. Crush 1 clove and 1 cardamom in a mortar pestle and add to the gravy.
6. Pour in prepared spinach puree and mix well. Add milk and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
7. Put paneer pieces, mix gently and simmer on low flame for 5 minutes.
8. Top it up with fresh cream, and garnish with ginger shreds and onion rings. Serve warm with chapati, naan, missi roti, or tandoori roti.
- If you want very silky smooth gravy, add all the things like onion, garlic, ginger etc ground into a very paste instead of chopped.
- Add a pinch of garam masala at the end also to make it more flavorful.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
You can follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).