Mc puff is one of the most popular products offered in Mc Donald. It is quiet delicious and you should give it a try if you haven’t. But what if if we can prepare it at home. Trust me homemade veg puffs taste as good as the Mc Donald’s one. These are stuffed with lots of veggies, sauces and mozzarella cheese. I have used carrots, capsicum, cabbage, peas, sweet corns, onions and spring onions. You can also use zucchini, beans, mushrooms, paneer etc. Although i have used lots of flavorings, sauces and condiments, you can try using pizza sauce also.
This tastes amazing, i must say its not that difficult to prepare as it looks. Even the base can be flavored with herbs and carom seeds. I used 1/2 tsp basil leaves. This is basically deep fried but i wanted to make a healthier version so i baked it instead. You can make it even more healthy by using wheat flour instead of refined flour. Trick is to make the dough very tight and knead it well. Apart from the that add cheese when stuffing is cold because we don’t want our mozzarella to get cooked before baking. Lastly close the Mc puff really well, we don’t want the filing to get out. Lets start with the recipe.
Recipe type : Appetizer, Snack
Time : 60-80 minutes
Serves : 4-5
For the base
2 cups Refined flour (maida)
3 tsp Semolina (suji)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
4 tbs Oil
For the stuffing
1 cup Cabbage (chopped in fine cubes)
3/4 cup Carrot (Chopped in fine cubes)
3/4 cup Capsicum (chopped in fine cubes)
1/4 cup Spring onion (finely chopped)
1/2 cup Onion (finely chopped)
1/2 cup Sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup Green peas (fresh or frozen)
4 cloves Garlic (crushed or grated)
1/4 tsp Ajinomoto
1 tsp Dark soy sauce
2 tsp Green chili sauce
4 tbs Tomato sauce
2 tsp Vinegar (white/cider)
1 tsp White pepper powder
1/2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Mixed herbs
1 tsp Salt (or according to taste)
4 tbs Mozzarella cheese (grated)
1 tbs Oil (olive oil/vegetable oil/sesame oil)
For the batter
1 tsp Cornflour/maida
2 tbs Water
Method: (Step By Step Mc Puff Recipe With Photos)
1. First lets make the dough. Take a paraat or big thali and put sieved refined flour, semolina, baking powder and salt and herbs if you want in it. Then mix it and put oil in the center by making a well. Mix with light hands making a crumble until fist forming consistency. ( If it is not fist forming add 1 tbs more oil ) Now with help of water make a very tight dough. ( I used 1 and half cup water. ) Keep the dough covered with a wet cloth for half hour)
3. Take a skillet and put oil in it. Keep it to heat and add onions. Saute the onions for 2 minutes till they become little soft. Then add carrot and cabbage and again saute for 1 minute, add capsicum and saute for 2 more minutes.
4. Now add sweet corns, peas, garlic and spring onion, saute for a minute. Put all the spices and herbs, parsley, basil, mixed herbs, white pepper,salt and ajinomoto. Mix well and add soya sauce, vinegar, chilli sauce in it and mix. Switch off the flame and add tomato sauce to it and mix it well.
Prepare Mc Puff
9. Now cover the roti half and press it properly from the sides so that filing do not get out. Cut any uneven edges to give it a rectangle shape. Make marks on the edges with a fork evenly. Put these on a greased baking dish and brush some oil above them. Bake them at 200 degree for 20 minutes in convection mode. After 10 minutes take out and brush some milk to get nice golden color. After 20 minutes turn and again bake for 5 minutes.
- You can also deep fry these on medium flame instead of baking.
- You can add beans, mushrooms or any other exotic veggies you like.
- Flavor the dough with herbs, caraway seeds or carom seeds as you like.
- You can also add processed cheese for more flavor in stuffing.
- Do not add too much mozzarella as it can break the puffs open.
- You can store these puffs before baking or frying. Sprinkle cornflour over these and store in a cling film or foil. They will stay for 6-7 days. When you want fry or bake and eat.
- Make sure to serve hot, they don’t taste good when cold.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
You can follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).