Samosa or Singhada is a very popular snack which can be deep fried or baked with a savory filing inside and crispy outside. In different parts of the world it is known by different names and has many variations. Today I have prepared one with potato and peas filing i.e. quite famous in India as a street food – Aloo Matar Samosa. It is often served with green chutney, Sweet and sour tamarind chutney and fried green chili. It is a perfect accompaniment with your tea on a rainy day or in cold weather.
Samosa’s outer layer is prepared with refined flour, you can make it with whole wheat flour also. It can be either baked or deep fried. Out of many varieties, Aloo matar samosa always remains a favourite among samosa lovers. Although filing such as chinese style veggies, noodles, paneer, peas are also quite in these days and are often served in marriages as Mini samosas in starters. This samosa is little spicy, you can make more or less spicy according to your own preference.
Recipe Type : Snack, Indian, Street Food
Cuisine : North Indian
Serves : 10
Time : 2 hours
For the base
- 4 cups Refined Flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup Semolina (suji)
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds (shah zeera)
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds (ajwain)
- 2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup Oil
For the Stuffing
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway seeds (shah zeera)
- 1/4 tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbs Chopped Green Chili
- 1 tbs Chopped Ginger (adrak)
- 1/2 cup Green peas (matar)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (kali mirch)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder (bhuna pisa zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Jaljeera powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp Raw mango powder (amchur)
- 5-6 Medium sized potatoes (boiled and roughly mashed)
- 2 tbs Coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- 1 tbs Raisins (kishmis)
Method (Step by Step Aloo Matar Samosa Recipe) :-
1. Take refined flour and sieve it (chan lijiye) in a big vessel (paraat). Now add the caraway seeds, carom seeds, salt, semolina to it. Make a well in the center and add oil to it.
2. Now start mixing up all the ingredients and make crumble. The dough should be fist forming which means when you take the dough in your palm and close your fist, it should the shape of the fist. Now add water little by little and make a very tight dough. Cover it and leave for 30 minutes.
3. To prepare the stuffing, take a skillet, add oil, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, carom seeds and asaefoetida in it. Keep it to heat.
4. When fennel starts moving, add green chili and ginger to it. (If you want to add onions, add now) Cook for 2 minutes and add green peas and all the spices to it. Cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add mashed potatoes and mix very well. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and raisins and mix again. Stuffing is now ready. Let it cool completely before using.
6. Take dough to make a puri. Roll it like a chapati/puri. Cut it half from center with the help of a knife. Now take one half, apply water on the straight edge. Hold it it from both ends and roll like a cone and join the ends well. Press the joint so that it sticks well.
7. Now put filing in it (1 tbs approx.) and apply water on the inside open edges of the samosa and join them well. Likewise prepare all the samosas. (make sure to seal the samosa well otherwise it will open in oil)
8. Deep fry the samosas in hot oil on simmer till brown and crisp. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Keep turning after every 2 minutes so that it gets cooked well from all the sides.
9. Now the aloo matar samosa are ready to serve. Serve hot with green chutney and tamarind chutney.Yum
- You can add onions if you like, or dry nuts like cashews, or even small paneer cubes to make it more rich.
- If you are making for a party, make the samosas a day in advance and half fry them. Keep in the freezer and deep fry the next day. You can keep the samosas for almost a month in ziplock bags in the freezer.
- Do not mash the potatoes too much.
- You can bake the samosas if you want. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and bake them for about 15-20 minutes (or according to your oven, adjust time and keep watch).