Pizza…. sounds so mouth watering. Right? and then comes some occasions like navratri or shivratri or any other religious fasting days. You are not allowed to have that delicious pizza. That is so unfair. But here i come with a perfect navratri pizza recipe that can you have during fasts too. Yuhuuuuu! The idea of this recipe came from dominos new special navratri pizza. I went there tasted it but it didn’t satisfied my taste buds and the thought came I can make better pizza. Here I m posting the recipe, although navratri is almost over, but this pizza is so yum that you can have it any day. It is also gluten free which makes it a perfect choice for people having gluten allergies/celiac disease.
I have used kuttu (Buckwheat flour) flour and potatoes to make the base, prepared a homemade pizza sauce without onion or garlic, used topping allowed during fast like paneer, pineapple,tomato etc., and i have used mozzarella cheese. Now many people will not agree with the use of cheese. According to my google research mozarella is quiet low on sodium and is prepared with non-iodized salt. But still if you don’t want to use it, just great paneer (cottage cheese) and use instead of mozarella and sprinkle little rock salt and pepper. Although it will not taste same, but it tastes good too. I have used capsicum here, if you don’t use avoid it. So lets start with the recipe.
Recipe Type : Vrat recipe
Cuisine: Indo Italian
Time: 60-70 minutes
For the base:
1 1/2 cup Buckwheat (kuttu) Flour
2 Big boiled grated and mashed potatoes
1 tsp Rock salt
For the sauce:
2 Big Tomatoes (chopped roughly)
1/2 Capsicum (chopped roughly) (red or green)
1tsp Unsalted butter/makhan/olive oil/ghee
3/4tsp Rock salt
1/2tsp Black pepper
1/2tsp Roasted ground cumin powder
2tsp Chopped mint leaves/(1/2tsp mint powder)
1tsp Basil and oregano (optional)
5-6 Pineapple pieces (canned/fresh)
1/2 Capsicum (cut length wise)
1/2 Tomato (desseded and cut length wise)
50gms Paneer/cottage cheese
5-6 Mint sprigs
Mozarella (as required)
or paneer (as required)
Oregano to sprinkle (optional)
Method: (Step by step Navratri pizza recipe with photos)
Navratri pizza sauce
- First of all, we will start with pizza sauce, take tomatoes and capsicum and put them in a pan with 1/2 cup water to blanch. Keep them to heat, cover and cook for 5 min. Switch off the gas, cool it and puree in the blender/mixer.
2. Now, put ghee in a sauce pan and pour in the prepared puree, cook it for 2-3 minutes and add salt,pepper,cumin powder and sugar, cook it till it thickens.
3. When sauce thickens, add mint leaves and cook for one minute more and take it out in a bowl.
Pizza Base and toppings
1. Take all ingredients of pizza base, make a soft dough with help of little water.
2. Slice paneer and grill on pan with little ghee And cut into triangles (or any shape u like).
3. Now take a baking dish, grease very well with ghee/butter, put dough on it and flatten it with your palm and keep joining the cracks, make it 1/2 inch thick. Cut it with a thali so as to remove uneven edges. Take a fork and prick the pizza base. Grease it from above also with ghee. Bake it for 10 min. at 200 degrees in a preheated oven on convection mode. ( dont worry if the dough sticks to the baking dish, as it will get cooked, it will get separated itself)
4. Take it out, apply little fresh cream/unsalted butter on it, then a good helping of pizza sauce, spread it well, put toppings the way you like, grate cheese/paneer and again put it to bake on 200 degrees for 15 minutes in convection mode.
5. Cheese should get a golden color on the top, Our navratri pizza is ready, cut it and serve with same pizza sauce. This pizza taste really very good.
6. I got some of the dough remaining so i prepared a bite sized pizza on tawa, same way, except i cooked it on gas stove, it turned out to be equally amazing.
To cook it on gas, first i cooked my pizza base with the help of ghee from one side then turn it and put sauce, toppings same way as above and cooked it covered for 5 min on low flame.
- This pizza sauce can be used as a dip for your entire navratri snacks like sabudana tikki, aloo tikki, kuttu pakode etc
- I have not used oregano and basil, if you want you can.
- You can change toppings as per your liking and fasting rules.
- You can try making this base with singhara and rajgira ka atta too.
- Tawa pizza turned out to be more crispy, but cheese does not get golden.
- I have used cheese just a little bit here and there on pizza, if you want can cover it whole with grated cheese.
- This base gets really dried up so using good amount of grease is really important.
Do try this recipe and comment below.
You can follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).