Chana-coconut chutney is a new variation to the basic coconut chutney. It is a bit more spicy and nutty. This chutney also goes well with south indian dishes. Chana dal addition makes even more nutritive, it is full of proteins, vitamins and minerals. For this recipe,chana dal has to be roasted well otherwise it will not taste good. You can also use roasted chana instead of chana dal. I have used fresh coconut for the recipe but dreid grated coconut can also be used. Of course fresh tastes best. Lets start with the recipe.
Recipe type: Chutney
Cuisine: South indian
Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup Coconut (Fresh or dry)
- 1/2cup Onion (chopped or sliced)
- 2 tbs Chana dal (bengal gram lentil)
- 1 tbs Oil (coconut/vegetable)
- 10-12 Curry leaves (kari patte/ mitha neem)
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 2 Whole dried red chili (Sukhi lal mirch)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
Method (Step by step chana-coconut chutney recipe)
- Prepare all ingredients
2. Take a pan and put oil, mustard seeds and red chili and keep it to heat.
3. When mustard seeds start spluttering, add chana dal, curry leaves and onions in it.
4. Saute till onions become soft and chana dal becomes golden in color. Switch off the gas and let it cool.
5. Take a mixer jar and put coconut, green chili and salt in it.
6. Now when the chana dal mixture cools down, add it to the mixer jar.
7. Grind it finely in mixer with help of water. (Add water according to the consistency desired. Chutney is ready to be served.
This chutney goes very well with any south indian vegetarian preparation like idli, vada, dosa, appam etc
Do try this chutney and comment below.
Follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).