Khandvi is a very popular Gujarati snack which is made from a mixture of gram flour (besan) and curd. It has a very soft and silky texture and it is a very healthy snack which is loved by all. The sweet and sour taste tickles your taste buds and is very appetizing. This can be prepared either with or without stuffing. Various types of stuffing can be used like fresh coconut or paneer (Indian Cheese) and coriander leaves or any veggies.
On Sunday morning I made this savory dish for the first time… it came out just perfect. Mostly people like to buy this from the market but if you get the trick, it can be made at home easily. Two things need to be taken care of to make this dish. The first thing is to get the batter right without any lumps and second is to spread it as quick as possible. The batters tends to get thick very fast so you have to be very quick during the whole process and very delicate while rolling the khandvi as it can break very easily.
Recipe Type – Snack
Cuisine – Gujarati
Serves – 4
Time (Preparation and cooking) – 50 min (Approx.)
For the batter:
- 1 cup Gram flour (Besan)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi)
- 2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Green chilly paste (optional)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste or grated (optional)
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 cup Fresh Coconut finely grated ( You can use dried if fresh is not available)
- 2 tsp Green Chilly finely chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1/4tsp Chana dal & Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 Whole dried red chilly
- 1 tsp White Sesame (Till) seeds (optional)
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2tsp Lemon Juice
Method (Step by step recipe for khandvi/patuli with photos)
- Prepare all the ingredients first.
2. First take gram flour, curd, ginger, green chilly paste, asafoetida, salt, sugar and turmeric in a paraat or big deep thali.
3. Mix all the ingredients with your hand in a circular motion (from left to right) and beat it till you get smooth and shiny batter. Add one cup of water and again beat it.
4. Pour this batter into lightly greased Skillet (kadhai) and put one cup water in the paraat and add it to the skillet so that there is no wastage and also for the right consistency.
5. Now switch on your gas stove and start stirring the batter with a round spoon or a whisk from left to right and stir continuously till it gets thick and starts leaving the skillet. At this point you should do a plate test (take little batter and apply on a plate, cool it and see if gets removed easily, it is done and if it is sticky then you need to cook it more). Do not leave it unstirred while on gas.
6. As the better is cooked properly, you have to be real quick. Divide this batter onto 4 greased thalis (backside). (Keep the thalis greased before you prepare the batter.)
7. Spread this mixture very thinly and evenly with the help of a spatula or flat spoon. Be quick as the batter thickens very quickly and it becomes difficult to spread it thin.
8. Let it cool for 2-3 minutes and make straight line cuts with knife at one finger distance.
9. Meanwhile we make stuffing for khandvi by mixing coconut, green chilly, coriander leaves, salt, sugar and lemon juice. I ran out of coriander leaves so used mint leaves instead which work pretty good. If you don’t like coconut you can stuff paneer also. And you can completely avoid stuffing if you want to eat simple khandvi.
10. When khandvi mixture cools, put stuffing on each leaving space from both top and bottom side.
11. Now make khandvi rolls very delicately and see that it should not break. Rolls should be made tightly so that they don’t open. Arrange on a plate.
12. It already looks so tempting. My brother ate it like this only. But seasoning makes it scrumptious so let’s make seasoning now. Take a tempering bowl, put oil, chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves in it and heat it till mustard seeds splutter. I didn’t used sesame seeds but if u want you can add now and then add 2tbs water, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Now pour this over prepared khandvi pieces.
13. Khandvi is ready to serve. Garnish with coriander or mint leaves and grated fresh coconut. Serve with mint or coriander chutney.
Note: Prepare it for breakfast or as a evening snack or serve as a side dish.
It took less than 5 minutes to empty this plate. I just felt I should have made more. It was delicious, dissolved into my mouth with lot of flavors. Sweet, sour, salty, creamy coconut and freshness of mint. Perfect for breakfast or any time snack, healthy and yummy.
Please give it a try and let me know how it turned out. ☺
You can also try Veggie puff / Mc puff, pudina namkpare or Maharashtrian Poha Breakfast recipe.
Follow us on Facebook (@monikasfoodiediaries ), Instagram(Foodiediariesmoni )or twitter (Foodiediaries_M).