This Diwali I made these Mung Dal Mini Samosa which came out to be delicious and everybody loved them. Although they take some time and effort but are worth it. Dal gives it a very distinguished flavor and also they stay good for long time. Although these samosas can be prepared with different filings. But for using as tea time daily snacks, dal works best.
Recipe Type : Snacks
Cuisine : Indian
Time : 1 hour
Shelf life : 1 month approx.
For the filing
- 1 cup Moong Dal (Yellow dal/ Lentil)
- 1 tsp Cumin (zeera)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 tsp Onion seeds (Kalonji)
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp Raw mango powder (Amchur)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder (Bhuna zeera powder)
- 1 tsp Salt (namak)
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 tbs Chopped curry leaves (kadhi patte)
- 1 tbs Grated ginger (kasi hui adrak)
For the Dough
- 2 cup Refined Flour (maida)
- 2 tbs Semolin (suji)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway seeds (shah zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Oil
Method (Step by step Mung Dal Mini Samosa Recipe With pictures) :-
- First of all wash mung dal and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- Take refined flour and sieve it (chan lijiye) in a big vessel (paraat). Now add the caraway seeds, carom seeds, salt, semolina to it. Make a well in the center and add oil to it.
- Now start mixing up all the ingredients and make crumble. The dough should be fist forming which means when you take the dough in your palm and close your fist, it should form the shape of the fist. Now add water little by little and make a very tight dough. Cover it and leave for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the stuffing, take a skillet, add oil, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, onion seeds and asaefoetida in it. Keep it to heat.
- When Fennel Starts moving add dal, spices and ginger to the skillet.
- Now roast the dal masala till it becomes dry. (approx for 15-20 minutes)
- Add curry leaves to the masala and mix well. Let the masala cool down completely before stuffing in samosas.
- Take dough to make a small puri. Roll it like a chapati/puri. Cut it half from center with the help of a knife. Now take one half, apply water on the straight edge. Hold it it from both ends and roll like a cone and join the ends well. Press the joint so that it sticks well.
- Now put filing in it (1 tsp approx.) and apply water on the inside open edges of the samosa and join them well. Likewise prepare all the samosas. (make sure to seal the samosa well otherwise it will open in oil)
- Deep fry the samosas in hot oil and then on simmer till brown and crisp. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Keep turning after every 2 minutes so that it gets cooked well from all the sides.
- Let all the samosas cool down and then enjoy mung dal mini samosas and pack the rest in a airtight container.
- Make sure that dal dries out well, otherwise samosas will get spoiled in 3-5 days.
- You can make these with chana dal also.
- Try adding some besan for adding flavor while roasting dal.
- Dal can also be crushed coarsely before roasting if you want.
- For healthier version you can bake the samosas and use whole wheat flour instead of refined flour.